67% of B2B businesses use Twitter as a digital marketing tool.1 This isn’t surprising, considering more than 3.6 billion people in the world use social media – and that number is expected to grow to 4.41 billion by 2025.2
If you’re looking for a cost-effective way to get your messaging out to your target audience, social media is a smart way to do it. The existence of billions of social media users doesn’t guarantee you’ll turn into an online force without any effort, though. To drive results, social media for MSPs has to be well planned and based on a carefully crafted MSP marketing strategy.
Why Use Social Media as an MSP?
You might be thinking, “Can’t I just do marketing the old fashioned way?” But internet users spend an average of 144 minutes on social media per day3 – that’s a lot of time consuming content. It’s a huge opportunity for MSPs to grow your digital brand and ensure messaging lands in front of the users most likely to turn into leads.
MSPs that leverage social media see the following benefits:
Build Better Brand Awareness
Businesses that post weekly on LinkedIn see double the engagement rate4 of companies that don’t. This means that simply by posting once a week, you’re growing your digital presence – and gaining important visibility over your competitors.
Grow Your Audience
Customizing your marketing for specific buyer personas is a necessary part of your overall MSP marketing strategy, and one that helps your inbound marketing strategy. But there are other businesses out there you might not be reaching through inbound that fit the same buyer profile. Social media posts help you reach this broader audience by being shared and re-shared.
Connect With Your Customers and Prospects
Social media isn’t one-sided. Your customers can interact with your posts and vice versa, giving you an informal, non-invasive channel for communication and connection. It’s a great way to reach a target audience in your specific geographic area. Do your research on local hashtags and drive traffic from potential customers that are close to home.
Provide Customer Support
Your customers are used to being able to get real-time support by the means they prefer, whether that’s through chat, on the phone – or via a social media message.
Social media for MSPs can be used to demonstrate thought leadership. It’s an easy platform to show your audience you understand their key challenges – and have the expertise, products, services, and solutions to solve them. Post original content you created or share quality content from other sources to present yourself as an expert and build trust and authority.
Tactics and Tips for Successful Social
You’re clear on the “why” behind social media for MSPs – what about the how? Just like your approach to marketing in general, your social efforts shouldn’t feel like throwing darts haphazardly at a board. You need to be deliberate in your social strategy in order to grow your digital presence and build brand awareness. Here’s how to do it:
- Schedule Your Posts – If you’re planning to post multiple times a month on a variety of different platforms, make your life easier with a scheduling platform. This one from HubSpot allows you to automate your social media posts – they’ll go out on a predetermined schedule, giving you the freedom to “set it and forget it.”
- Be Consistent – To stay top of mind on your customers’ and prospects’ social channels, you have to stay at the top of their feeds by posting regularly and consistently. The more your brand shows up in the news feed, the more frequently your target audience is reminded they need what you have to offer.
- Use Rich Media – The quality of the content you post matters more than the frequency. Rich media, including images and video, will garner more attention than a plain text post. More than 90% of people share videos they’ve watched online – if you put out a share-worthy video, it’ll do your engagement work for you.
- Turn Customers Into Ambassadors – Let your customers serve as organic ambassadors to your brand by reposting your share-worthy content. Likes and comments from existing customers also help build trust with a broader audience.
Avoid These Social Pitfalls
Social media for MSPs can help you build your digital presence and generate leads – but you have to do it right. Avoid these common mistakes:
- Being Too “Salesy” – Not every post you make on social needs to be a sales pitch. Focus on building brand awareness, connecting with your customers, and demonstrating thought leadership.
- Not Being Social on Social – Social is a two-way street: you need to keep up with comments and re-shares and engage accordingly. Conversely, re-sharing posts from industry thought leaders and publications adds to your credibility as a helpful resource to your own audience.
- Not Measuring and Improving – Following our tips about social media for MSPs is a great start – but you’re not maximizing your impact if you aren’t measuring tangible results from your efforts. Determine your key performance indicators for social, track your progress, and use data to change your strategy and improve your results if needed.
Social Media Experts at Your Service
If you’re surprised at how involved successful social media campaigns are, you’re not alone. Social media for MSPs isn’t something you get good at overnight – that’s where the pros at Mojenta come in. We specialize in building high-performance sales and marketing machines that will grow your digital presence and drive quality leads your way. Our data-driven approach helps you avoid social media pitfalls and ensures measurable results. Get started building an awesome MSP social media strategy with us today.